I was recently tasked with migrating code that was written for 2007 in a feature. The files that were originally provisioned in the feature we deployed to the root folder of the feature. The code had already been upgraded to SharePoint 2010. I needed to create a wsp using Visual Studio 2010 and package it as a feature. Out of the box when you create a new Module in VS 2010 you get a subfolder so for example you create the feature called Feature1 and a module called Mod1. The default deployment path is 14\templates\features\feature1\mod1\file.txt. What I needed was feature1\mod1\file.txt. I tried modifying all the attributes in the elements.xml file and was not able to get the files to the correct location.
In the end what i did was the following
- Add the file to the module in visual studio
- Look at the properties of the file in visual studio
- Under Deployment Location expand the + and clear the Path value.
- Ensure that the Deployment Type is Element File
- Deploy the file and it should be in the correct location.